July 1, 2021
Fiber Internet Installation Process
Get Ready for Super-Fast Fiber Optic Internet
Here’s what to expect when getting your Gateway Fiber service.
Step 1: Initial Consultation - Designing the path for where the cable will be buried in your yard.
Before we lay any cable or connect any fiber, we meet with you at your home for a brief consultation to work out all the details of installing your service.
- We’ll note anything we need to work around such as a dog fence or sprinkler system and talk with you about where to put the outside and inside connection points to get the best service for your home.
- Once you’re happy with the plan, you sign off on it so we can begin the installation.
- One of our representatives will reach out to you to schedule this important meeting for a time that is convenient for you. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us at 888-201-4339.
Step 2: Flagging and locating - Preparing to lay the fiber optic cable.
And you don’t have to lift a finger. We lift ours instead.
- We call “MO One Call” to help us avoid other buried utilities and not disrupt existing utility services. Good call, right?
- After we call, the utility companies will stop by your home within 2 days to plant tiny flags in your yard that mark areas for us to avoid. While those little flags aren’t the most attractive yard decorations, be sure to leave them in the ground so our techs know where and where NOT to dig.
Step 3: The Drop - Bringing the fiber from the curb to your home.
“The Drop” isn’t an 80s rock band. It’s how we connect the fiber from the neighborhood pedestal to your home. This all takes place outside, so you won’t need to be home. It will magically be done when you return. We will leave a note on your front door telling you we were there. If you do want to be home, that’s great! We will do our work and let you know when we’re done.
- Using special equipment, we dig a narrow trench through the yard, carefully avoiding the no-no flags and areas we discussed in our initial consultation.
- Next, we lay the cable down inside the trench and fill it back in behind us, carefully restoring your yard after the work is complete.
- Finally, we connect the cable to the NID, a box we inconspicuously attach to the outside of your home.
Step 4: The Final Connection - Lighting up your service.
Now it’s time to make that final connection, so you’ll need to be home.
- We will call you to set up this appointment at a time convenient for you.
- Our technician will review the inside installation plan with you before we plug in any cables.
- Then we connect the fiber cable outside your home to the modem inside and set up your Wi-Fi network through our included router from Plume, specifically designed to handle the lightning-quick bandwidth of your new fiber internet or your own router, but we don’t recommend that because we cannot offer the level of support available with Plume.
Total time for home installation: 2-3 hours
That’s it! Now you’re ready to surf, stream, and game through an ultra-fast pure fiber-optic network.
Optimize your Gateway experience: Simple, connected, ridiculously fast.
Welcome to your new Gateway internet service. Now that you’re up and running, here are some handy resources to make your experience the best it can be.
- Customer Service: 888-201-4339 or Contact Us - Gateway Fiber
- FAQs, because you probably aren’t the first person to ask: Contact Us - Gateway Fiber
- Get to know your new WiFi: (14) What is Plume? - YouTube
Your health is at the forefront of our minds. Therefore, we follow recommended CDC protocols and county health guidelines to protect both you and our technicians, especially inside your home. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us.